Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Tom Turley

Q1: Tom Turley

Q2:

Q3: Sao Jose dos Campos, Brazil

Q4: missionary

Q5: Diana Murphy Turley

Q6: Joshua - son -26
Jessica - daughter-in-law (age undisclosed)
Charity Maria - daughter - 8 (yeh, go ahead and laugh...she is a blessing)
Hayden - grandson - 2

Q7: I was selected, in first round of auditions, to be a part of the LBC Chorale, ROAD TEAM, when there was an abrupt change of leadership. Gordon took over the audition process and called in the three of us that were selected in that first round. His quote to me was, "I would have never selected you, so it must be God that wants you." Well, I'm glad God wanted me.

Then, on the way to Nashville to cut our album, I was standing next to Gordon's seat when "Crud" took a curve a little sharpe, and I sat right in Gordon's lap. I was trying to get up, when I heard that gruff voice yell, "Are you going to sit here all night?" I'm sure there are other quotes that marked my life, but these two REALLY marked my life in that first year.

Later, in S.Korea, when YA stayed an extra day to cover a big concert date for us (I was in SMITE, and our flight from Manila to Soeul was cancelled so we were way delayed) Gordon called our group to the front at the end of that concert, having arrived straight from the airport. YA was already on stage, we walked up, Gordon grabbed me by the arm, shoved me between Penny Knutson and Diana Murphy, and said, "You sing here!" That's all I remember of that concert. He probably said lots of other things, but I didn't hear a thing. Little did he know, that that was the moment I was waiting for. I was in love with Diana, and no one else knew it. Diana even recalls that it was that moment that she actually looked at me and said, "wow!"

Q8: Gordon's example in life ...his personal life with Dottie, his kids, his passion for youth, his love for God.
As a missionary, working with teams of youth, singing teams in Brazil, and working at a youth camp for 14 years...I was, am, and will continue to be influenced by Gordon Luff.

Q9: Penny Knutson married David Hatcher, a pastor in Brazil. It was this contact that got us to work together for 14 years in the same church, there. I had the joy of working with Penny to teach some music groups some of our old YA/Smite music. Penny's husband, David, wrote a disciplship book called "One With God." The passion for God that I learned while at LBC, coupled with the discipleship training I received, and later taught in Brazil, helped transform my life.

Q10: Thank you Gordon Luff, for not sending me packing, even though you would not have selected me, and thank you for putting me between Penny Knutson and Diana Murphy for that one last song in S. Korea.
Diana and I are still "singing" together, 30 years to the the date of that encounter.

Need to read all the above to understand this section.

Q1 Name | Q2 Maiden name | Q3 Where do you live
Q4 Occupation | Q5 Spouse | Q6 Kids/grandkids
Q7 Memory/quote of Gordon | Q8 Career affected
Q9 Walk with God | Q10 Other


No comments: