Wednesday, September 2, 2009

John Freel

Q1: John Freel

Q2:

Q3: Milan, Tennessee

Q4: Senior Pastor

Q5: Anne

Q6: Nathanael

Emily
Zachary

Q7: I first met Gordon in the fall of 1973 when as a college freshman I was involved in the college and career sunday school class at TRBC. Gordon challenged us to go on the road to sing and share Christ. I recall traveling to do public school assemblies in the inner city of Pittsburg. These were not the easiest places to play. The story goes that in one school some weeks before the US Army Rock Band had been "booed" off the stage yet there we were in our nylon windbreakers singing our hearts out for Jesus....and the students loved it. What a ride! We found ourselves in some very interesting places and saw God save and touch a lot of young people. Scaremare brought more incredible memories and I am grateful for the opportunity to have been a part of the Chorale and Youth Aflame singers that Gordon led. I remember him teaching us about youth ministry, dating, following the Lord, perseverance, and other pertinent topics. I remember him fulfilling a promise to his family of building them a swimming pool. What I still remember most as far as quotes was that "Everything rises and falls on leadership". I think it is burned into my ministry DNA.

Q8: Gordon was always just "rock steady" as an example of a leader. He not only inspired us but he lived what he taught. Its been said that things are caught as well as taught and I believe his example of excellence, commitment to the Lord, and vision to see young people saved and taught to follow Jesus was picked up by many of us. When I was in my first youth pastorate Gordon came to Canada to speak at a banquet for my young people. He observed my ministry and then like a father took time to give valuable wisdom and insight so I could improve. It was life-giving.

Q9: Two adventures with God that have probably had the most effect on me are first being involved in a global move of God centered at a church in Toronto. I saw the Holy Spirit do so many things and change thousands of people including me. I had an opportunity to be sent out by the church as an itinerant pastor. I spoke at conferences or church meetings internationally and also hosted an international television program. In the last 16 months I've seen God heal a number of people. He has changed me. The other thing that has brought personal transformation has been going through some difficult challenges in the past several years in church ministry and life settings.

Q10: When I think of how we were able to sit under the leadership of Dr. Jerry Falwell and Gordon Luff along with many other capable leaders and how we were challenged by their example, instruction, vision, and their genuine love for us....and when I think of how we were led to Liberty in those days from all over the country and some from outside the country...well...I just feel rich.


Q1 Name | Q2 Maiden name | Q3 Where do you live
Q4 Occupation | Q5 Spouse | Q6 Kids/grandkids
Q7 Memory/quote of Gordon | Q8 Career affected
Q9 Walk with God | Q10 Other


1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.